Second Grade’s Classroom News for
Sept. 16 – Sept. 20
1. When doing homework assignment Please make sure to read all of the directions, especially on the backpack pages and the math sheet.
2. Gym will be held on Tuesday this week.
3. Library book comes back to school on Thursday.
4. Thursday will be a 1:30 dismissal.
5. There will be no school on Friday.
6. When studying for tests and quizzes, Please go over the key terms and there definitions. These would be the words highlighted on the pages or in dark print. A few suggestions would be to make flash cards with the words and definitions or to make study guides. In both cases make the child write out the words and definitions this way they can start memorizing and committing the terms to memory.
We are finishing Unit 1. There will be an open book test on pages 1-30 next week.
Language Arts (Reading, English, Phonics and Spelling):
We are working on our new SUPERKIDS program. We hope to get through lessons 16-20 of Unit 1 in the word workbook and the Super magazine. The backpack pages are due on Thursday.
English and simple solutions:
We are learning about sentences in our English book.
There will be a Simple Solutions quiz on lessons 9-12 this week
We are learning how to recognize short vowel sounds.
We are learning how to spell memory words. There will be a spelling test on Thursday with a total of 15 words. The following 12 memory words are in each child's student planner. They are: show, now, work, first, down, many, about, over, only, before, would and could. There will be 3 bonus words called pattern words on the test.
We our reviewing unit 1 (pages 12-56). There will be a test on this unit Wednesday.
We are reviewing seeds.
We are learning how to solve two-step word problems.
There will be a Simple Solutions quiz on lessons 9-12 this week.
Please remember that there will be Math homework every night. In addition, each child should be practicing their addition and subtraction math facts. The rocket time tests have begun. So be looking for these sheets to come home on Mondays and Wednesdays. They are also on the teacher’s corner page of the St. Jane web site. Time tests are given twice a week. In order to move onto the next level, an 80% must be reached.
1. Please remember that all dental forms are due.
2. When a child returns to school after being out, a note is required to state the absence. This is a school rule.
3. When tests come home, the only ones that need to come back to school are the ones that say sign and return. (The students are aware of this when they get their test back.)
4. Check the student’s eight-pocket folder nightly. Remove all the leave at home papers daily.
5. Again when studying for a quiz or test PLEASE DO NOT write the chapter review answers in the book. If we didn’t get to a particular lesson (esp. in Simple Solutions) please do not do them at home.
6. We took the i-ready math and reading tests last week. Once the scores have been received each student will have their own account to work on assignments and lessons to help them reach their performance goals. They have their username and password attached to the inside front cover of the student planner.
Suggestion of Second Grade Books to Read:
- Dark Night by Dorothee de Monfried,
- Swimming with Sharks by Betty Hicks, Babymouse series by Jennifer Holm and Help Me, Mr. Mutt! by Janet Stevens and Susan Stevens CrummNon Fiction:
- If I Ran for President by: Catherine Stier, Recess at 20 Below by: Cindy Lou Aillaud, Storms by: Miriam Busch Goin, Earth Day by: Robin Nelson, Amazing Dinosaur Facts by: Leonie Bennett, Do French Fries Come From France? by: Ronne Randall
A reading website for a free 30 day trial: www.readingiq.com
10 Best I-pad Apps for Reading: 10 Best I-pad Apps for Math:
- speed reading academy * marble math jr.
- EPIC virtual library * thinking blocks addition
- reading rainbow * sushi monster
- time for kids * splash math
- starfall * math ninja
- sight words learning games & reading flash cards * math board
- bob books * dream box math green
- sight word ninja * addition & multiplication number bubbles
- teach your monster to read * number math
- Dr. Seuss Treasury * math facts: number bonds & fact families
Second Grade Prayer List
Sign of the Cross
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Guardian Angel Prayer
Angel of God, my Guardian dear, to whom God's love, commits me here. Ever this day,
be at my side, To light and guard, to rule and guide.
The Lord's Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be
done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our
trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you. Blesses are you among women, and
blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God pray for us
sinners, now, and at the hour of our death.
Glory Be to the Father
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning,
is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Grace Before Meals
Bless us, O Lord, and these your gifts, which we are about to receive from your
goodness, through Christ our Lord.
Grace After Meals
We give you thanks for all your gifts, almighty God, living and reigning now and
Act of Contrition
Oh, my God I am heartily sorry for having offended you, and I detest all my sins,
because of your just punishments. But most of all because they offend you, my God,
who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace,
to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin.
Guardian Angel Prayer
Angel of God, my Guardian dear, to whom God’s love, commits me here. Ever this day,
be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
10 - Picture Day
19 -1:30 Dismissal
20 – No School
14 - No School
17 - 1:30 Dismissal
24 - Reconciliation Parent Mtg @ 7 p.m.
31 - 11:30 Dismissal
1 – No School
21 – 1:30 Dismissal
22 - Parent Teacher Conferences
27- No School
28- No School
29 - No School
12 - 1:30 Dismissal
23- Jan. 3 No School
6 - School Resumes
16 – 1:30 Dismissal
20 - No School
23 - First Reconciliation @ 7 p.m.
7 – No School
17 – No School
20 - 1:30 Dismissal
27 - First Communion Parent and Child Mtg @ 7 p.m.
6 - Report Card Day
13 - Early Dismissal Parent Teacher Conferences
19 - 1:30 Dismissal
8 - First Communion Child Retreat @ 4 p.m.
9 - 1:30 Dismissal
10 - 17 No School
26 – Second Grade Family Mass @ 9:30a.m.
30 - First Communion Practice @ 5:30 p.m.
2 – First Communion @ 11a.m.
21 - 1:30 Dismissal
22 - No School
25 - No School
5 - Last Day