Second Grade's Classroom News for
Jan. 21 – Jan. 24
1. Library books are due on Thursday.
2. First Reconciliation will be celebrated on Thursday at 7pm. in Church. All students are to arrive no later than 6:45p.m. It is a dress up event.
3. Friday will be a gym day.
5. The All School Field Trip bus fee of $10.00 is due Friday.
6. The Scholastic Book Fair will be held on Friday.
We are finishing up our Reconciliation material. There will be a quiz on the Rite of Reconciliation/ Bless me father paper on Thursday. The students need to know the student parts only. Our final wrap up quiz on lessons 1-6 will also be this week.
Language Arts (Reading, English, Phonics and Spelling):
We are working on our SUPERKIDS program. We hope to get through lessons 11 of Unit 5 in the word workbook and the Book Club books.
We are reviewing chapter 3. There will be a test on pages 64-92 Thursday.
We are learning how to use different contractions.
We are learning how to spell position words. There will be a spelling test on Friday with a total of 12 words. The following 12 words are in each child’s student planner: obey, they, change, strange, neighbor, way, weight, wait, eight, eighty, eighteen and weigh.
We are learning about the different parts of a map.
We are reviewing chapter 2. There will be a test on pages 56-81 Wednesday.
Please be working on subtraction facts.
We are learning how to subtract three digit numbers.
Please remember that there will be Math homework every night. In addition, each child should be practicing their addition and subtraction math facts. Both addition and subtraction rocket time tests have begun. So be looking for these sheets to come home on Mondays and Wednesdays. They are also on the teacher’s corner page of the St. Jane web site. Time tests are given twice a week.
Please remember the only working email address for second grade is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Suggestion of Second Grade Books to Read:
- Dark Night by Dorothee de Monfried,
- Swimming with Sharks by Betty Hicks, Babymouse series by Jennifer Holm and Help Me, Mr. Mutt! by Janet Stevens and Susan Stevens CrummNon Fiction:
- If I Ran for President by: Catherine Stier, Recess at 20 Below by: Cindy Lou Aillaud, Storms by: Miriam Busch Goin, Earth Day by: Robin Nelson, Amazing Dinosaur Facts by: Leonie Bennett, Do French Fries Come From France? by: Ronne Randall
A reading website for a free 30 day trial: www.readingiq.com
10 Best I-pad Apps for Reading: 10 Best I-pad Apps for Math:
- speed reading academy * marble math jr.
- EPIC virtual library * thinking blocks addition
- reading rainbow * sushi monster
- time for kids * splash math
- starfall * math ninja
- sight words learning games & reading flash cards * math board
- bob books * dream box math green
- sight word ninja * addition & multiplication number bubbles
- teach your monster to read * number math
- Dr. Seuss Treasury * math facts: number bonds & fact families
Second Grade Prayer List
Sign of the Cross
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Guardian Angel Prayer
Angel of God, my Guardian dear, to whom God's love, commits me here. Ever this day,
be at my side, To light and guard, to rule and guide.
The Lord's Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be
done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our
trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you. Blesses are you among women, and
blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God pray for us
sinners, now, and at the hour of our death.
Glory Be to the Father
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning,
is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Grace Before Meals
Bless us, O Lord, and these your gifts, which we are about to receive from your
goodness, through Christ our Lord.
Grace After Meals
We give you thanks for all your gifts, almighty God, living and reigning now and
Act of Contrition
Oh, my God I am heartily sorry for having offended you, and I detest all my sins,
because of your just punishments. But most of all because they offend you, my God,
who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace,
to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin.
Guardian Angel Prayer
Angel of God, my Guardian dear, to whom God’s love, commits me here. Ever this day,
be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
20 - No School
23 - First Reconciliation @ 7 p.m.
7 – No School
17 – No School
20 - 1:30 Dismissal
27 - First Communion Parent and Child Mtg @ 7 p.m.
6 - Report Card Day
13 - Early Dismissal Parent Teacher Conferences
19 - 1:30 Dismissal
8 - First Communion Child Retreat @ 4 p.m.
9 - 1:30 Dismissal
10 - 17 No School
26 – Second Grade Family Mass @ 9:30a.m.
30 - First Communion Practice @ 5:30 p.m.
2 – First Communion @ 11a.m.
21 - 1:30 Dismissal
22 - No School
25 - No School
5 - Last Day